Special Area Groups of Educators (SAGE) Day
Friday, October 21, 2016
8:00 AM – 3:30 PM
Manitoba School for the Deaf
242 Stradford Street, Winnipeg
Manitoba Association of Visual Language Interpreters, in partnership with Manitoba Education, invites interpreters, signers, AEIP/DSP students, parents, teachers, and others to attend this annual Professional Development Day.
The 1-hour parking restriction on Stradford Street will be lifted for the day.
8:00 a.m. Registration
8:30 a.m. Opening Remarks
8:45 a.m. “What I have learned along the way.”
Lauralee McDougall will be leading this workshop. She will be sharing what she has learned throughout her experience in the k-12 setting.
10:00 a.m. Break
Light Snacks Provided – Please bring your own mug to help the environment
10:15 a.m. “Story time”
This workshop will be lead by Sarah Rabu. This will be a hands on workshop using the VL2 app from Gallaudet University. You will practice taking an English story and creating the ASL equivalence.
12:00 p.m. Lunch Break.
See below for details.
1:15 p.m. “ASL in Action, through Deaf eyes”
This is a fun-filled, hands-on workshop where David-Lee invites you to see the world “through Deaf eyes”. First, he will shine a light on what things look like in the real world and how they can be represented by ‘doing’ rather than signing. Next, the camera will be on you as you audition for a starring role in “ASL in Action”. Working individually and in groups, David-Lee will challenge you to try on different characters and play with a variety of emotional responses to everyday events. Finally, you will have an opportunity to put it all into action by practicing these techniques so your work can be more effective when you go back into the classroom to interpret. Be prepared to have fun, participate, stretch yourself a bit, and learn something new.
3:15 Wrap up
Registration Fee (GST included):
$35.00 MAVLI Members
$40.00 Non Members
$20.00 DSP/AEIP Students
Half Day $20.00
MSD is pleased to host a hot lunch for the MAVLI workshop on October 21, 2016. All proceeds go towards the Youth Canada Tournament of the Deaf, which will be held in Edmonton, Alberta from May 7-12, 2017. This exciting trip will allow our students to meet fellow Deaf peers from across the country. Students will participate in cultural, sports, and artistic activities.
Combo # 1 – 4 Perogies, Garlic Sausage, Kale Salad and Drink $10.00
Combo #2 – 6 perogies, Garlic Sausage, Kale Salad and Drink $12.00
Drinks Coke, Diet Coke, Bottled Water $ 1.00
All Perogies are filled with cheddar cheese. The Kale salad includes shredded kale, Brussel sprouts, cabbage, chicory, dried cranberries, roasted pumpkin seeds tossed in a poppyseed dressing
Fried onions, butter, sour cream will also be available.
ASL-English interpretation will be provided.
For more information please contact: Mandy MacDonald, Professional Development firstname.lastname@example.org
Request for Service (ASL-English interpreters)
AVLIC is coming to Winnipeg!
The AVLIC Board will be coming to Winnipeg for a 2-day in-person Board meeting on Saturday, October 1 & Sunday, October 2, 2016. All AVLIC members and community members are welcome to attend.
AVLIC is in search of interpreters to interpret the Board meeting, mainly from ASL-English (whisper interpreting for the recording secretary). It is preferred if the same interpreters are available for the whole assignment, though we will consider partial coverage from multiple interpreters.
Saturday, October 1 from 9:00am – 5:00pm
Sunday, October 2 from 9:00am – 2:00pm
Leadership Training (lead by Maureen Haan)
discussion topics determined by the Board (agenda will be provided in advance)
Interpreting will not be required during breaks and lunches
Lunch will not be provided, however interpreters are welcome to include their lunch order (self-pay) with the Board’s lunch order
If interested, please submit your Terms of Service to the AVLIC Executive Director, Jennifer Best.
If you do not have a terms of service, please include in your e-mail the rate of pay and other conditions expected. E-mail: email@example.com
ASL-English Sign Language interpreter for Saskatchewan Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services
Canadian Administrator of VRS (CAV), Inc. – Ottawa, ON
Reporting to the Executive Director of CAV, Inc., CAV is looking for a dynamic, highly competent and passionate Executive Assistant to join their team. In this role you will be supporting the Executive Director of CAV, Inc. by providing office management and administrative support. CAV is currently seeking an individual who is proficient in American Sign Language, has experience in the telecommunications industry and/or has a background in serving in an Executive Assistant role. This newly created position will allow you to further define the role and responsibilities in conjunction with the Executive Director.
CAV is a not-for-profit corporation that has been mandated by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) to design, implement and oversee the delivery of video relay service (VRS) in Canada. VRS provides telephone calling for sign language users by allowing sign language users to connect by a video link to a sign language interpreter who will provide real-time interpretation of telephone conversations. CAV and its Board of Directors are directly responsible for designing, implementing and promoting its new VRS solution called SRV Canada VRS that will provide service to customers in both American Sign Language (ASL) and Langue des signes québécoise (LSQ).
- Working in a not-for-profit corporation with a highly professional and engaged Staff and Board of Directors
- Writing and editing reports, presentations, customer and other correspondence including CRTC filings
- Meeting, greeting and caring for VIPs and Deaf visitors (with sign language in either ASL/LSQ is highly desired)
- Managing the day-to-day operations of the office; calendar and meetings management, making travel arrangements and leading special projects
- Supporting Board meetings; managing the logistics to support the meeting, preparing and distributing meeting materials and other aspects required
- Creating and maintaining files and records, e.g. healthcare and insurance plans, etc.
Candidates should have experience that includes:
- Prior Executive Assistant experience (3 years+ would be ideal)
- Experience in the telecommunications field and/or with managing CRTC reports, consultations and filings would be a plus
- Excellent PC skills (Excel, Word & PowerPoint)
- Managing vendor contracts and invoices
- Great communication skills, verbal and written
- Sign Language Interpreting, preferably with an active AVLIC membership
- Self-motivated and able to work independently with short deadlines
- Detail oriented, organized and able to work with shifting priorities
- 4 Year Bachelor Degree preferred
This position will be located in Ottawa, ON and will require some travel.
All interested candidates are invited to submit their current CV and cover letter to Sue Decker, Executive Director of CAV by August 15, 2016 .
Job Type: Full-time
- The Magic of ASL evening is planned for next Wednesday, May 18th from 7:00 – 10:00pm at DCM in the theatre. There will be ASL performances, skits, poetry, etc, interspersed with video footage of previous Magic of ASL performances. It is sure to be a wonderful opportunity to bring our community together for an evening of celebration. If you could help us by spreading the word we would appreciate it. (click to watch video)
- Please join us in congratulating Danica Loewen who was awarded the MAVLI Student Achievement Award.
- MAVLI has recently added a new director to our board, we now have an official Webmaster, Arleen An who has been in the role on an informal basis since last year will continue to help us with our technical website development.
- We are currently seeking volunteers to join the board, Libby Smith who was our Public Relations Chair has recently stepped down. We are so grateful for all the work she has done for MAVLI over the last few years. Thank you Libby. If you are interested in the Public Relations Portfolio or in revamping our Newsletter portfolio, please contact Tania at firstname.lastname@example.org. We would love to have you on board!
- The fundraising committee is looking for ideas, if you are aware of an opportunity for a fundraising initiative, please contact email@example.com.
- Please note that our meetings are open to all members and if you would like to join us, the next meeting will take place on June 13th from 6:00 – 7:00pm at DCM in the Affleck room. Also, if you would like a copy of our minutes, please send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Here is one for the old timers (is that politically correct?) some of you may remember the scavenger hunts that MAVLI would host in years gone by. We were lucky enough to find an old “trophy” (toilet seat award) for the years from 1987-1992. If any one can remember the winners from the year 1990, you can be the lucky owner of a toilet seat award!!
REMINDER! Free show MAGIC OF ASL on May 18. 7-10 DCM
Check out this VIDEO for more INFO 🙂