[pdf-embedder url=”http://www.mavli.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Magic-of-ASL-2017-Poster.pdf” title=”Magic of ASL 2017 Poster”]
Celebrating 200 years of ASL
American Sign Language (ASL) is spoken by thousands of people across Canada, and is one of the cornerstones of Deaf culture and identity for many Canadians.
On May 17, join us for a celebration of the 200th anniversary of ASL!
THE MAGIC OF ASL
We present musical and theatrical performances in Bonnie & John Buhler Hall.
6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Bonnie & John Buhler Hall on Level 1
Deaf Culture is expressed in many ways! Join us for an evening celebrating the diversity of the Deaf community. There will be performances by the student drumming group from the Manitoba School for the Deaf, 100 Decibels Deaf mime troupe, and theatrical performances by ASL story-teller David Burke and students from the Deaf Studies program at Red River College. Explore the past oppression and subsequent revitalization of ASL.
This program is free.
We are proud to present today’s celebrations in partnership with the Manitoba Cultural Society of the Deaf, and the Manitoba Association of Visual Language Interpreters.
A message from the President of MAVLI.
Two important events:
Wednesday May 17, 2017
at the Museum of Human Rights
Celebrating 200 years of ASL.
Wednesday May 24, 2017
at the Red River College
Celebrating the graduating class of AEIP
As well as the Deaf community who helped them along the way.
- The Magic of ASL evening is planned for next Wednesday, May 18th from 7:00 – 10:00pm at DCM in the theatre. There will be ASL performances, skits, poetry, etc, interspersed with video footage of previous Magic of ASL performances. It is sure to be a wonderful opportunity to bring our community together for an evening of celebration. If you could help us by spreading the word we would appreciate it. (click to watch video)
- Please join us in congratulating Danica Loewen who was awarded the MAVLI Student Achievement Award.
- MAVLI has recently added a new director to our board, we now have an official Webmaster, Arleen An who has been in the role on an informal basis since last year will continue to help us with our technical website development.
- We are currently seeking volunteers to join the board, Libby Smith who was our Public Relations Chair has recently stepped down. We are so grateful for all the work she has done for MAVLI over the last few years. Thank you Libby. If you are interested in the Public Relations Portfolio or in revamping our Newsletter portfolio, please contact Tania at email@example.com. We would love to have you on board!
- The fundraising committee is looking for ideas, if you are aware of an opportunity for a fundraising initiative, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please note that our meetings are open to all members and if you would like to join us, the next meeting will take place on June 13th from 6:00 – 7:00pm at DCM in the Affleck room. Also, if you would like a copy of our minutes, please send your request to email@example.com.
- Here is one for the old timers (is that politically correct?) some of you may remember the scavenger hunts that MAVLI would host in years gone by. We were lucky enough to find an old “trophy” (toilet seat award) for the years from 1987-1992. If any one can remember the winners from the year 1990, you can be the lucky owner of a toilet seat award!!
REMINDER! Free show MAGIC OF ASL on May 18. 7-10 DCM
Check out this VIDEO for more INFO 🙂